A 14 year old girl named Anais Fournier died last December after drinking two Monster energy drinks in a 24 hour period. We will note that Anais had Mitral Valve Prolapse, a heart condition that is usually not a big deal. Many people with mitral valve prolapse do not even know they have it, symptoms of MVP may include fatigue, dizziness, getting lightheaded, irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath and chest pain.
The reports were that the amount of caffeine the teen consumed in two cans of Monster were equivalent to the amount of caffeine in 14 cans of coca cola. The amount of caffeine was 5 times the recommended limit set by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Anais was hospitalized afterwards, went into cardiac arrest and died from cardiac arrhythmia.
A study in the journal Pediatrics showed about 40 percent of teens and young adults drink energy drinks. Here is where I give my two cents worth of advice, no teen, young adult or even adult needs these so called energy drinks. I know when I was a teen nobody consumed energy drinks and we were always in high gear. There is no reason to consume such high levels of caffeine there are only downsides. Teens and adults alike should eat and drink healthy while maintaining an exercise regimen and there would be no need for energy drinks.
The cases of caffeine poisoning has risen at incredible levels over the last few years, this is obviously not a good trend. Talk to your children about energy drinks.